- 3200-3500 Highland Avenue,45213
- 5130-5500 Kennedy Avenue, 45213
- 3590-4000 Lucille Drive, 45213
- 5100-5600 Ridge Avenue, 45213
- 6805-6805 Cambridge Avenue, 45227
- 6809-68141 Grace Avenue, 45227
- 6754-6902 Murray Road, 45227
- 4000-4300 Plainville Road, 45227
- 7200-7700 Wooster Pike, 45227
Q: What is the tax rate for Columbia Township JEDZ?
- Tax rate for Employee Withholding: 1%; Tax rate for Net-Profit: 1%.
Q: What actions are required if I own a Business, own Rental Property, or work as a Contractor within the JEDZ?
- Business owner, Rental Property owner, and Contractor MUST
- Register with the Columbia Twp JEDZ as soon as they start business activity. (JEDZ New Business Registration)
- Rental Property owner must also submit a list of their tenants. (Columbia Township Tenant Questionnaire)
- If your business has W2 employees you must collect and pay Withholding Tax on the employee’s earnings, at 1% rate. (Use generic form or Monthly Withholding (most businesses are Monthly, per House Bill 5 requirements). OR use the “Generic Employer Withholding Form” for Quarterly Withholding, for smaller Withholding employers)
- If your business pays Employee Withholdings you must also submit a Reconciliation Form every year (due by the end of February for the previous year).
- Pay Estimated Quarterly Net-Profit tax using the 2016 Estimated Tax Payment Form.
- Submit yearly Tax Return based on calendar year (or your Fiscal year end, if different than calendar year).
Q: I will be opening a new business and will be doing a large project to prepare my business location, or I will be doing a large scale upgrade to my business location. OR I am the General Contractor for a large project in the JEDZ. What should I do?
- Please contact us and submit a list of the Subcontractors .
Q: What forms of payment can I use to pay taxes?
- Checks are preferred method of payment. Businesses may also pay by ACH through the State of Ohio’s “Ohio Business Gateway” (OBG) secure website. OBG web address: http://www.tax.ohio.gov/. Follow the “File Online” link to the OBG login webpage. Your business needs to create an account to gain access if you don’t presently have one set up.
Q: Who is required to pay Columbia Twp JEDZ tax directly?
- Business located in the JEDZ.
- Owner of Rental Property located within the JEDZ collecting rental income.
- Contractor working on project located within the JEDZ?
- Consultant, or contract employee paid on 1099 basis, for work within the JEDZ.
- Exception: Employees paid by a business in the JEDZ and will be receiving a W2 must have their tax withheld on their paycheck by their employer. The employer pays the JEDZ tax on their behalf. IMPORTANT: if your employer in the JEDZ is NOT withholding JEDZ tax, contact your employer’s Payroll Department!!
Q: I work for a business located in the Columbia Twp JEDZ, do I need to pay taxes directly to Columbia Twp JEDZ?
- If you are issued a W2, Not directly. Your employer should be withholding the Columbia Twp JEDZ tax from your paycheck at the rate of 1%. The employer should then pay the Withholding Tax to Columbia Twp JEDZ for all of their employees, so you will not need to pay Columbia Twp JEDZ directly.
- If your pay stub and W2 shows the Columbia Twp JEDZ tax being withheld at 1% you are fine. IMPORTANT: BUT if your pay stub and W2 doesn’t show Columbia Twp JEDZ withholding tax, you must contact your employer’s payroll department.If you are issued a 1099: you need to pay Columbia Twp JEDZ directly.
- If you are a consultant or worker NOT receiving a W2, your employer has NOT withheld the tax and YOU MUST file a Columbia Twp JEDZ tax return.
Q:Is there a charge of penalty & interest for late filing of Columbia Twp JEDZ Tax Returns and Tax payments? What are the deadlines?
- Yes! The following policy supersedes any previous penalty & interest policies and will be strictly enforced effective January 1, 2017. See Village of Fairfax website (www.fairfaxoh.com) for additional Tax Information, The Columbia Twp JEDZ follows the Tax Ordinance of Village of Fairfax, but Columbia Twp JEDZ Tax Rate is 1% and applies to businesses only.
INTEREST: For the tax year beginning on January 1, 2017, the interest rate to be applied to unpaid estimated tax, unpaid income tax and unpaid withholding tax balances in 6% per annum (0.50% per month). This rate is being published in accordance with Ohio Revised Code 718.27 (F). This rate is effective from January 1, 2017 through December 31, 2017 and does not apply to tax balances for any prior years, regardless of when they are filed. (See chart below for interest rates for the 2014-2016 Returns and prior years.) This is in accordance with village of Fairfax Tax Ordinance 32-2015 Section X.
2017 Returns & Withholding: 6% interest per annum (0.50% per month)
2016 Returns & Withholding: 6% interest per annum (0.50% per month)
2015 & 2014 Returns & Withholding: 12% interest per annum (1% per month)
PENALTIES: 15% “unpaid” Net-profit Tax and Estimates; 50.0% “unpaid” for Withholding, plus the interest charge of 6% per annum (0.50% per month) for any unpaid balance. In addition, Late Filing Fee: $25.00 per month late filing charge for each Return, up to $150.00 maximum can also be added by the municipality, even if NO Tax Due.
Employer Withholding Due dates:
Monthly Remittance: due by the 15th of the following month.
Quarterly Remittance: April 30, July 31, October 31, and January 31*
(*Threshold requiring monthly remittance: Prior year annual total withholding for the municipality exceeding $2,399.00. Any month of prior quarter withholding for the municipality exceeding $200.00. If the threshold is met, state law mandates monthly remittance.
Reconciliations of Employer Withholdings are due the last day of February and must include: W-2 information for each employee that had the municipal income tax withheld and the withholding of every other municipality that the tax was withheld is required. The W-2 information needs to include the Medicare wages amount (Box 5). The 20-day rule allows a 20 day exemption from municipal withholding if applicable.
Estimated Quarterly Income Tax Due:
First Quarter: due on April filing deadline (generally April 15). Second Quarter: June 15; Third Quarter: September 15; Fourth Quarter: December 15. (Threshold for requiring estimated tax payments $200.00.)
Extensions: Request is due by the Tax Filing deadline. The Extension does not extend the tax payment due or for estimated taxes. A late payment penalty plus interest can be charged.