HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
Keys to safe winter driving
This month, we want to urge motorists to make safety their first priority while driving in inclement weather.
To assist motorists with safe winter driving here are a few tips:
- Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and traffic ahead.
- Pay attention to the roadways and weather conditions, as they can change rapidly.
- Always pay close attention to bridges and overpasses, as they are often the first to freeze over.
- If you do slide off the side of the road, stay with your vehicle and call the your local police agency (Hamilton County Communications Center 825-2280 . If you get stuck in snow, make sure that your tail pipe is free of all snow and debris, to decrease your chance of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In the event of a vehicle breakdown, turn on hazard warning lights, safely position the vehicle as far off the road as possible and open the hood, stay inside the vehicle until help arrives. If a cell phone is available, call 825-1500 for assistance.
We suggest all motorists have the following items in their vehicle in case of a breakdown:
- Cell phone
- Road flares or reflectors
- Tow strap/chain
- First aid kit
- Flashlight & Batteries
- Blanket/Sleeping bag
- Small shovel & Road Salt or Sand
- Bottled water and energy foods